Sunday, February 6, 2011

Leo - Back Home

Ahh there's nothing like a morning swim in the ocean to start the day. There is something about the ocean water that revitalizes the body and raises the spirit. A much needed therapy after a journey to the main continent. I come to the shore before dawn when the skies are dim and the seas are calm. I swim for about an hour while the faint glow on the horizon comes alight.

I waded into the shallows where the water is waist-high. The cold shot a chill throughout my body. Even in the dim light the waters are clear enough to see the sand below. I closed my eyes and listened to the gentle waves caress the shore and felt a soft breeze embrace my skin. I took a few more steps out and spotted a small school of fish heading toward the reef for a quick meal before sunrise. I dove under and began my swim.

Today I decided to swim through a trench in the reef and spotted a turtle nibbling at the coral. The turtle saw me but paid no mind. I wasn’t about to bother it and the turtle knew it as well. After a while I took a look at the horizon. The dim purple had become a soft orange. The sun would be rising soon so I turned and made my way back to shore.

As the sky grew brighter sea-life became more scarce. I didn't see anymore schools of fish on my way to shore. The turtle I spotted earlier had gone. I emerged from the water onto the white sands and I saw my shadow growing along the ground. Behind me, the sea come to life. The water began churning and the waves rose up and crashed upon the shore. The sun had risen. I hope that turtle had found shelter.

I turned to face the sea in time to see a black eel break the surface. Its black scales gleamed in the morning sun. The eel appeared to be around twenty feet long, perhaps as thick as my torso. A moderate size for a black eel. Further in the distance I saw a Krake treading water. The beasts eyes scanned the shallows for any small boats. Krakes tend to attack small vessels and eat whoever may be inside. Well not this morning, not any morning. Over the years we’ve learned to keep away from this side of the island and their kind. It let out a low growl that reverberated across the ocean's surface and disappeared in the deep waters.

With the sun now fully over the horizon I have taken a seat on the beach. The sky is rapidly becoming blue and the air is warming. Soon my back will be dry. It’s going to be a beautiful day. I'm glad to be back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment