Sunday, January 2, 2011

Grimey - Good Morning

You know it’s going to be a busy day when the first thing you hear is a screaming cow. Them banshees were attacking again. Damn fliers are always a bother at dawn.  I scraped myself out of bed, and stretched to get the blood flowing. I took a moment to listen. I could hear the high-pitched cry that I never would’ve guessed a cow to make along with the flapping of wings. I knew I had to get out there soon.
I walked out of my bedroom and passed through the kitchen area. There’ll be time to eat later. I went straight to my workroom, a large open area where I keep my anvil, hammers, and axes, along with a variety of other things. I sometimes call this room the armory. I grabbed a belt laced with hatchets along with my battle axe that was mounted on the wall and headed outside. Sure enough, a swarm of banshees were circling the pastures across the way hassling the McGrady’s cattle.
I broke into a steady jog and made my way toward the swarm. The banshees, with their thin dark purple leathery skin, almost glowed in the dawning sunlight. Some people find the effect a bit eerie but I think it just makes them easier targets to hit. They like to fly into farmlands and pastures to steal crops and livestock. Banshees aren’t very big. They’re the size of an overgrown owl but with long narrow necks and heads. They got sharp claws and fangs but they’re not all that strong so they need to attack in swarms. Timid things, they scare easily.
Three banshees swarmed around a single cow. The fliers were clawing at it and I could see a trickle of red along the cow’s side. I hopped the fence into McGrady’s pasture and threw a hatched at the banshee on top of the cows back. Nailed the bastard right before he took a bite. The other two banshees scattered. I let a few more hatchets fly and took out two more before the whole swarm scattered away.
These little fliers are more a nuisance than anything. Never do much harm either, except for stealing crops and waking me up from bed. Although for small farms like McGrady’s, who needs every crop and animal to get by, banshee swarms can be a problem. Good thing I live nearby.
I made my way back to my cabin, thought about lying back down in bed but reconsidered. The sun had already risen and there’s a lot of work to be done at the quarry. It’s best to get started there before the sun rises too high. Besides, hunting makes me hungry and it’s time for breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment